Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lynx

Some arachnids wander through the garden, searching for prey. These are not web-weavers, although they often depend on a silken dragline. They hunt and pounce with catlike precision, earning themselves the name of Lynx.

Green lynx spiders (Peucetia viridans) are common in this area, although not commonly seen. Their jewel-toned coloration is formidable camouflage, allowing them to hide in plain sight, patiently waiting...waiting...

This one perches on a rose leaf. Unlike most of the invertebrate world I try to photograph, she stayed still, posing in the patchy sunlight filtering through the walnut tree. Green lynxes tend to stay in the same area for a while. An hour later, I went back outside to find that she was still there, still watching.

6 comments:

  1. I must say, that's a pretty good looking green spider—of course that could just be my Irish lineage and nature photographer alter-ego talking. I'm certainly not a fan of big spiders, though unless you're growing roses sporting gigantic leaves, this one appears small enough. At least it doesn't invoke an immediate episode of the creeping horrors. (Well, I can feel just a twinge of arachnophobia screaming: MY GOD! IT'S GREEN AND HAS EIGHT LEGS!)

    Nope, it's a pretty neat green spider…and I'd take a photo of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy,

    Great spider - I had a few of these in my garden last summer. They are just gorgeous. Nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Grizzled Scribe: that's high praise coming from someone who isn't exactly an arachnophile. Thank you!

    @Amber, you're right: they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joy. That is a beautiful spider, very distinctive. It's like the wren in the UK.... it's our most common garden bird yet very rarely seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful spider !!
    We don't have him here... nice capture.
    Greetings Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the spider. I haven't seen one like it yet.

    ReplyDelete